The beauty of the food formulation is its simplicity. It is made from four readily available, dry ingredients that are easy to package, keep for long periods, and require only boiling with water to prepare. Despite the simplicity of the food’s content, it is a nutritionally complex and well balanced meal.
High-quality white, long-grain rice
- Widely recognized as a food staple in most countries of the world
- Fills the stomach
- Has a long shelf life
Vitamin-fortified, crushed soy
- Very high protein content (52%)
- 1 lb. of soy is the equivalent of 3 lbs. of red meat
- Fortification provides nine additional, essential vitamins
Dehydrated blend of six vegetables
- Adds nutritional value, flavor, and color
Vitamin & mineral powder
- Includes 21 essential vitamins and minerals
- Adds flavor
The vitamin formula is a proprietary formula and is the “secret sauce” that goes into our food. It includes 21 vitamins and minerals, and each bag of our food contains six servings of the dehydrated food which when boiled will feed six children. According to the food scientists developing the food, it supplies the optimum amount of nutrition for a malnourished child. It provides not just a meal, but better health to starving children. Additionally, our bags are specifically made from moisture-proof and odor-proof material to prevent spoilage and insect or rodent problems. The food bags are also three-ply for strength. Kids Against Hunger’s life-saving meals have a shelf life of at least three years.